Monday, 18 March 2013

Leibster Blog Award

Wow! The lovely Jo over at The Writing Bureau has awarded me a Leibster Blog Award. You should go and have a little look at her work. She has some wonderful card designs.

So here goes...

"The Liebster Award is for bloggers with under 300 followers and the rules of the award is that the nominee must link back to whoever awarded them, write 11 random facts about themselves, answer the 11 questions from the award giver, and then nominate another 11 bloggers and make up 11 questions for them to answer. It's a great way for new and undiscovered bloggers to meet new people, get more followers and find some blogs that they want to follow."


 Here's the 11 random facts about me...

1. I like forks with long prongs.

2. My passport has been to The Czech Republic but I haven't.

3. I am British and Irish but have never been brave enough to tick both boxes on the ethnicity forms.

4. I can sing most of the songs in any Disney Princess film and all of the songs in the Sound of Music

5. When I was younger I wanted to be a nun... see no.4.

6. People who talk about traveling bore me! A LOT!

7. I don't like Adele's 'Someone Like You' with a passion. She's trying to steal someones husband!! Why does no one see it?

8. I have a cheese addiction, in fact last time fly boy went away he sent me a heart shaped goats cheese as I was bored of flowers.

9. People who drive like idiots on the motorway frighten me more than anything.

10. It was me! I designed the Keep Calm and Carry On... and I apologise.

11. I still can't believe that people pay me to design, its like being paid for my hobby.


Where do you see your business in five years time?
Such a big question! I'll be 33 and either be running my own design agency or I'll have a tiny person to look after and I'll still be freelancing on wonderful projects. Both of these are dreams of mine and one day I'll have to chose but at the moment I'll keep on working at the career while I am still finding out how to look after myself let alone a small person!

What’s your favourite recipe?
To be honest I am pretty bad at cooking. I am a big fan of those magical oven dinners that M&S make, where you can just pop them into the oven for 70mins and they come out looking like you've been slaving away for hours! In other words, do like a Calendar Girl and get it at Marks & Spencer.

What’s your most inspirational quote?
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you're going to get (and if you don't try the yucky toffee one how are you going to know how good the strawberry creams really are?)

What do you listen to when your creating?
Mumford and Sons, Laura Marling, Arcade Fire and The Civil Wars...pssttt...and The Archers, but that's a secret.

What’s your greatest business tip?
Smile and keep in contact with people. Knowing everyone is the greatest networking tool in the box and in all honestly if you don't smile they aren't going to want to know you. Also, research - this is crucial in licensed design, you think it wont matter that you know the name of Remy's big brother in Ratatouille until one day you find yourself in a conference call with John Lassiter.... this has happened to me!

What’s the best part of running your business?
Having the time and flexibility of a freelancer. It has quite literally changed my life.

Who or what inspires you?
I find inspiration everywhere. I am always making notes in books and on my iPhone, scribbling down ideas on post-it's and scrappy bits of paper. However it's the people who have supported me so well who let the inspiration become anything at all. It's my wonderful friends who send me site links and my great sister who texts me ideas. Above all it's my wonderful future husband who reminds me everyday, no matter where in the world he finds himself that I can do it, and it is possible.

Do you have any advice for starting and writing a blog?
Keep up with it and (unlike me) post often, post well and be happy. I hate negative blogs.

What’s your biggest success?
I have had quite a few awards in my design life. A No.1 on the Times Children's Book List, my Robosocks came 2nd in a sock design competition and I won a National Calendar Award for my Simon's Cat Diary. But I think surviving the first six months being a full time freelancer makes me very proud! I consider that my biggest success.

Any tips on staying organised?
Make lists, of everything, everywhere. There's no better feeling of crossing something off that list. Oh, and an up to date iCal is pretty useful.

Why did you start your blog/business?
To 'meet' new people and get designJessica out there. It's been a hard slog, and I know I can do better... I will try.

I now pass this award onto... (drum roll please!)

Beth Gunnell Designs
Button Box Cards
Bykerlass
Dawn Bishop
Fhiona Galloway
Gingerbred
Heart of Light
Jenny Ellory
Nanny S-A
Pop-i-cok
Victor Fox


My 11 questions are...

1. Describe your creative/working environment
2. What do you create?
3. Which piece are you most proud of?
4. What do you listen to while creating?
5. What was your favourite decade?
6. Who would you invite to a fantasy dinner party?
7. What couldn't you create without?
8. Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
9. Why do you blog?
10. What are your successful business tips?
11. What do you love doing most?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica and great to learn a little more about you :)
    I'm loving your music, I saw the Mumfords and Laura and Arcade Fire at End of the Road festie a few years ago, I shall track down The Civil Wars as I've never heard of them. (since becoming a mum my new music seems to be all child related songs!)
    I'm off to check out your nominations
    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete